Hot Summer Recipes
By Engrid Winslow
The 4th of July always means the temperatures will be warm and that means you don’t want to turn on the oven. Here are two recipes for hot days so that your family can beat the heat and even one recipe for your family’s best friend. Cool off and enjoy the summer everyone!
Lemon Grilled Chicken with Green Chilies
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2-3 whole roasted green chilies, skins removed or about ¼ cup chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno, deveined and seeded
- 2 TBL cilantro, or parsley if you prefer
- 3 TBL olive oil
- 3 TBL lemon juice
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 – 8 Chicken breasts – boned or not
- Salt to taste
Place all ingredients except salt and chicken in a blender or food processor and puree until quite smooth. Large flecks of the peppers will char when grilled. Rub the marinade into the chicken and let it sit at room temperature for an hour. Alternatively, cover with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight but bring the chicken back up to room temperature before grilling. After grilling, let the meat rest for 5 minutes to absorb its juices and then salt to taste.
Watermelon Salad with Feta
- 6 cups cubed watermelon, seeds removed
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- ½ medium purple onion, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup thinly sliced mint
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar.
In a large bowl, gently toss everything except the balsamic vinegar. Reduce the vinegar in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until thick and syrupy, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly. Drizzle balsamic reduction over salad and serve. This salad does not hold well, so eat within an hour of preparing it.
And now, from the company K-9 Solutions that makes the supplement, Dinovite, comes a recipe for our furry friends to cool down with:
FROZEN DOG TREATS
- 32 oz Plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 TBL Organic Peanut Butter
- 3 TBL Pure Pumpkin (Not Pumpkin Pie Filling)
- Small dog treat of your choice (Optional)
Mix Yogurt, Organic Peanut Butter, and Pumpkin Puree together until smooth. Scoop the mixture into Silicone Cupcake Liners and top with a small dog treat. Cover and freeze until hardened. Remove liner and serve.
Disclaimer – Consult with a veterinarian before altering your pet’s diet. Nutritional Information varies based on ingredients used.