Heirloom Tomato “Summer Pie”
From the gardens of Mike Scott of Eagle Rock Backyard Farms
• 1 12” Pie Crust (store bought or your favorite recipe)
• 4 cups heirloom tomatoes, preferably cherry to small sized
• 1 cup of grated gruyere cheese
• 5 large chopped basil leaves
• 2 cloves minced garlic
• 1 tsp. olive oil
• ½ tsp. minced fresh rosemary
• ¼ tsp. sea salt
1. Place oven rack to the center position and preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Slice tomatoes in halves and add to a medium bowl. Add a half cup of gruyere cheese, 4 chopped basil leaves, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 tsp. olive oil, ½ tsp. minced rosemary, and ½ tsp. sea salt to bowl and toss with hands.
3. Roll out pie crust and place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. If you don’t have parchment paper, a greased cookie sheet will do. Spread the other (almost) half cup of grated gruyere cheese over the piecrust. Make sure to save a little cheese for the top of the galette after it has slightly cooled.
4. Spread mixture over piecrust leaving about 2 inches on the sides. Fold the sides up and over the mixture. I brushed the sides with an egg mixture and sprinkled a little sea salt on the crust. So good!
5. Bake until crust is a golden brown. Usually 35 to 40 minutes. Let pie slightly cool. Sprinkle the remaining gruyere cheese and sweet chopped basil on top. Enjoy!
From Mike’s summer garden: heirloom tomatoes, sweet basil, and rosemary.